As the 2014-15 season fast approaches we wanted to take this opportunity to put out some preliminary information.
1. Tuition Payments: Players must be paid in full prior to the start of the season. If you have questions regarding your payments, please contact Tyler Cook at
2. USA Hockey Registration: If you have not already done so, you must go online and register your skater with USA Hockey. This renewal is required annually for all players and coaches from Mite Instructional through Midgets. Players and coaches will not be allowed on the ice until they are registered. If you are not registered and you step on the ice and get hurt, NYHL is not responsible. The link is: https://www.usahockeyregistration.com/login_input.action When completed, USA Hockey will send you a confirmation. Please forward this confirmation page to
and maintain a hardcopy. BRING YOUR HARDCOPY TO THE FIRST NIGHT OF PRACTICE.
3. Schedule: Practice will begin the first week of September with anticipated Valley League and Martian-Midget games the first weekend of September. Mite Instructional practices will start mid-Sep with games projected for the end of September or early October. There will be NO pre-season ice this year due to scheduled maintenance and painting at the Graf.
NYHL is committed to improving the scheduling and information dissemination for more predictability with upcoming events. Mites thru Midgets will play the majority of games during the weekend and have additional practices scheduled based on ice availability and game schedules. Individual teams may also schedule dryland or off-ice practices and participate in tournaments at their coaches discretion. Although it is always subject to change, the schedule will primarily be as follows:
Fall Ice - September through the end of November :
Mite Instructional – Tuesday 6pm – Graf; Friday 7pm – Graf; Optional learn to skate Sunday at 10am - Graf; Weekend games - Graf.
Winter & Spring Ice – December through the end of February & March - April:
Mite Instructional – Tuesday 6pm – Graf; Friday 7pm – Graf; Optional learn to skate Sunday at 10am - Graf; Weekend games - Graf. Season ends at the conclusion of the Fournier tournament with occasional practices and parents games up until tryouts.
Mites - Thursday 6:45pm – Philips Exeter
Squirts - Tuesday 7pm – Philips Exeter
PeeWees - Thursday 7:45pm – Philips Exeter
Bantams - Tuesday 8pm – Philips Exeter
There will be additional weekend and weekday ice for Mites-Bantams during this time period based on game schedules and ice availability.
Note: During February School Vacation ice will be limited due to the Newburyport Bank High-School Tournament. IF teams participate, the Fournier Tournament is projected to run the last week of Feb and first week of March at both the Graf Rink and Rinks at Exeter.
Exeter ice ends in early March and Governors ice ends after March 20th.Tryouts for 2015-16 will be held in mid-March. Valley League games will end the first week in April with playoffs.
Additional Scheduling information:
Valley League - Parody rounds occur twice at the start of the season and the schedule is released in multiple phases throughout the year. Parents should continuously check http://www.valleyhockeyleague.com/ for updated information and even “like” VHL on Facebook and/or follow on Twitter. This helps with notification on canceled games due to bad weather too.
Major Events – Save the Date
Sep – NYHL Kickoff Party
Oct – Photos and Merchandise Night; Learn to Skate & Learn to Play begin
Nov – Tag Day, Black Friday Wishbone Classic and Midget Maroon/ Gold game
Feb – NHS Bank tournament, Fournier (TBD), Tag Day
4. NYHL Contact Information: Schedules and announcements are made primarily through NYHL.org. You must ensure your contact information is updated on the website. It is your responsibility and not the Board of Directors or your child’s coach to update your contact information.
5. Coaches: All coaches and on-ice or locker room volunteers must submit a CORI form. Please provide a copy of your license and the background check form located NYHL.org to
. This is an annual requirement. You can also mail or drop it off at 5 Bowlen Ave, Newburyport, MA 01950. Coaches are also required to complete online SafeSport training from USA Hockey, which is valid for two years. http://www.usahockey.com/safesporttraining
6. Volunteers: The NYHL Board of Directors is looking for volunteers to help throughout the season. Please register on NYHL.org.
7. Corporate Donations / Sponsorships: NYHL is a not for profit and is seeking out individuals or organizations that may be in a position to make a tax-deductible donation. Remember that our non-profit status is a great opportunity to utilize corporate matching or year-end tax deductions. There are different levels of sponsorships available as well. Please contact the Board of Directors for more information.
9. Uniforms: As stated during registrations in April, NYHL will be moving to maroon socks for wear with both white and maroon game jerseys. No white socks this year. Game jerseys are the player’s responsibility. If a team decides to issue out shirts to the players, they must be maintained on a hanger. At the end of the season, shirts should be returned washed and on a plastic hanger.
10. Rules: Per your registration form, and NYHL rink and league contracts, NYHL participants are required to comply with the rules and regulations at each rink and league NYHL participates in. Parents should familiarize themselves with each.
11. Learn to Skate and Learn to Play Hockey: NYHL will continue to run Learn to Skate on Sunday Mornings at the Graf. Sessions will begin in October and last through February. Learn to Play will begin the end of November and run through March for children of all ages. Please encourage friends and family to sign up if they are interested in learning to skate or play. It is a great first step for kids to try hockey before they are ready to make a full commitment.
12. Ice Availability/ Drop ins: NYHL has a surplus of ice throughout the year due to ongoing contracts and anticipated game schedules. In addition to practices, occasional drop-in “stick-time” will occur throughout the year. Often these will be at short notice so look for emails and postings online. Because of the additional ice, if parents or someone you know is interested in birthday parties, ice utilization etc, we encourage you to contact the Board of Directors for available hours prior to contacting the rinks. This includes ½ sheet usage too.
The Newburyport Youth Hockey League Board of Directors
There seems to be some confusion regarding the payments for the upcoming 2014-2015 NYHL Season.
If you haven't paid any payment at all, please contact
asap to confirm your spot on the roster. Also, visit the www.nyhl.org website to make your payment from the home page "Credit Card Payment" link or log into your account and select make a payment.
If you have made payments but have a remaining balance, this is a reminder that all balances are due in full by 8/31/14. If you have paid in full, thank you and please disregard this email.
The 2014-2015 season will kickoff the first week in September. There will be no pre-season ice due to Graf Rink maintenance.
If you are interested in Volunteering for the upcoming Season please visit www.nyhl.org and click on Sign Up to Volunteer today! If you would like to be on the NYHL Kickoff Party Committee, contact Laurie Naughton at
There are many opportunities to volunteer for: Fundraising events, Team Managers, Photo Night, Merchandise Night, Tag Day, Division/Level Coordinators, Coaches Coordinator, etc. Whether you can give 1 or 2 hours or once or twice a week, we welcome any time and support you can give!